Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hit the Road, Jake

I dislike change. As I get older, I turn more and more into that cranky old man who resists the whirlwind of progress, for better or worse.

Which is why I was so disappointed when I learned that Chef Jake Addeo was leaving Abboccato, the restaurant next door to my apartment. It's a wonderful place, with incredible food, and Jake was really hitting new heights recently. I stopped in unexpectedly for lunch last Saturday, and Jake came over to tell us that he was leaving for new adventures -- hopefully, he'll be starting a place of his own in the near future.



In the meantime, I hope that he's left his baby in capable hands. I'll go back, and pray that the chicken liver bruschetta and spaghetti Amatriciana and grilled lamb chops are the same as when Jake wore the toque. Incidentally, I always thought Jake was a pretty hot number himself, much more so than this awkward head shot would indicate:



He's hot, he's Italian, he can cook, he rides a motorcycle, and (to the best of my knowledge) he's completely straight. Is it any wonder that I love the guy?

2 comments:

  1. He is totally hot! And i adore his food! His spaghetti with razor clams and bottarga is out of this world. Have you heard where he's gone? or if he really is opening a new place? I'm desperate for some delicious pasta... BTW, I would go for a ride w him ANY day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eoa -- The last time I saw him was back in October, just before he got married. He was taking some time off for his honeymoon; don't know what he's been up to since. Abboccato is still excellent (their bruschetta is out of this world), and they've kept quite a few of Jake's dishes, but I do miss him!

    ReplyDelete